Welcome to the glimpse into the rabbit hole that is my life! I want to say that this photo at the top of the page is a pretty solid representation of what it is like to spend time with me.
You see, I’m usually the one behind the camera, setting up shots, taking family adventure photos, and making destinations look awesome. Get me in front of the camera, and I have a hard time keeping a straight face, and I’ll usually end up letting my less mature side make an appearance.
I began my career working on television commercials and media presentations, mainly on the computer animation side of things, before transitioning to corporate advertising and marketing. I ran digital media programs for multi-billion dollar companies for a few years.
I was not a well-traveled child or even someone comfortable with new experiences. My wife introduced me to travel on a few short trips in which I was a reluctant participant.
As I once wrote about for Intrepid Travel, I suffered from mental health issues, including the anxiety that nearly derailed the relationship and interrupted my chances to see the world. But it was travel that helped me see the world beyond the obstacles and find a way to overcome my anxiety to experience the beautiful world that surrounded me.
And once I was able to do this, I was hooked.
I became a dad in 2011, and by 2015 I had already made copious use of my corporate vacation time and traveled to a dozen countries with my wife Christina and my two boys. These were not the typical short family holidays. We traveled to destinations such as Jordan, Iceland, Peru, Colombia, and Egypt. We dove into the food, culture, people, and nature. It was at that time that my wife and I started Wandering Wagar – Adventure Family Travel, which was an outlet to share our photos and experiences with our friends, many of whom couldn’t understand why we would spend our hard-earned vacation time hiking through dusty mountains and exploring ancient ruins.
Little did I know that before too long, people who weren’t my Mom would be reading our family adventures. Or that I would be fielding questions from other parents about how to experience these kinds of rich, immersive travel experiences with their children. With all this input, I pivoted the focus of the Wandering Wagars website from just sharing our photos and stories to helping to guide other adventure-loving parents in their quest for meaningful, experiential, adventure family travel.
Apparently, this was a good move.
Within two years, my humble website was tracking over 100,000 visitors a month. Travel writing, speaking engagements, and photography became such a large part of my life that I was able to leave the corporate world in 2018 behind and pursue my passion for travel full-time. I have now traveled to over 28 countries across five continents, 21 of them with my children. Along the way, I’ve chronicled our experiences, tips, guides, and how-tos and shared with millions of families how to live a life of adventure and meaningful travel.
And my work has expanded far beyond just my Wandering Wagars website.
I began freelance writing and photography in 2017 and have since seen my work published by Lonely Planet, Intrepid Travel, Explore Magazine, Canadian Traveller, Frontiers North, and more. In 2018 I partnered with my good friend Christopher James Mitchell to launch Ultimate Ontario, a website focused on diving into the heart of travel and experiences of our home province.
Later that year I partnered with three other professional content creators to for The Blogger Collective, which is focused on raising the quality and capabilities of content creators. The organisation now boasts over 750 content creators, includes e-learning and professional development, and partners with brands, destinations, and businesses on press trips, promotional coverage, and more.
Now it’s time for me to connect with you. Whether on social media, or via e-mail. You can check out my Work With Me page to see some of my professional offerings, or just reach out via my social channels below to say hello.
Groups and Organizations
- Media Member: Travel Media Association of Canada
- Media Member: Adventure Travel and Trade Association
- Media Member: Society of American Travel Writers
- Media Member: North American Travel Journalists Association
- Media Member: Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada
- Media Member: Indigenous Tourism Ontario
- Media Member: Tourism Industry Association of Ontario
- Media Member: TravMedia
- Founder: The Blogger Collective
- Founder: Toronto Blogger Collective
Places I’ve Travelled
- Canada (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador, Northwest Territories, Yukon),
- United States (Montana, Nevada, California, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, Minnesota, Louisiana, Florida, Michigan,Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut)
- Costa Rica
- United Kingdom
- the Philippines
Some Of The Coolest Things I’ve Done
- White water rafting the Pacuare River In Costa Rica
- Dog sledding in Yellowknife Northwest Territories with my 4 and 6 year-olds
- Polar Bear Safari in Churchill, Manitoba with my 7 and 9 year-old’s
- Horseback tour through the Petra Mountains in Jordan with my 1 & 3-year-olds
- Exploring Machu Picchu with my 5 & 7 year-olds
- Skiing the Rocky Mountains in B.C. with my family
- Road-tripping and camping through Ontario
- Off-roading in Colorado
- Hiking volcanic craters in Iceland with my 1 year-old